Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Marsh Hens in Love











There are three new families of marsh hens at the lake. Yesterday Nathan and I saw chicks from all three families, but I didn't have my camera. Today as I got near the nests, I heard the pair calling to each other to warn that danger (me) was coming. I could see the chicks moving the grasses around, but couldn't get a clear glimpse of them. I did see, though, this pair of parents who called to one another. The mother checked on the babies and then came to meet her companion. They groomed each other carefully, tenderly. After a minute or so, they then separated--the mother returning to the nest and the father continuing to call warning "Wheewhoot!" until he saw that I had moved away. Cool. Maybe they'll show off their chicks while I'm there tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment