Thursday, April 21, 2011

I Am Always Forgetting Appoints--So Why Should I Make Them?


Some Cool Pics Before I Start My Ranting
This is a tiny flower--three petals only. It is a marsh plant that I can't remember the name of . . . only three petals. Wow.
Below is a kind of poinsettia--wild flower in Florida. Wow.
On one of our Horticulture class field trips, Nathan found this clump of frog eggs. Wow.


I Am Not Thankful for Doctor Appointments

This week I am NOT thankful for doctor and physical therapy appointments. I have consistently missed so many the last three months that I am needing to pay a $50 "missed appointment" more and more often. I am so lovable and funny and kind that for the longest time my doctors and therapists cheerfully re-scheduled appointments or squeezed me in among the other patients who had been on time. After awhile, though, it became tiresome--even for me. Today I had Nathan put down all my doctor/physical therapy appointments for this week (5 of them) in his iPhone calendar. I have ordered an iPad--it should be here in the next week or so. My palms are sweating even now--just writing about it. (!) Since Brent doesn't read any of my blogs, I can tell you that the iPad I ordered for him--for his birthday this May--is already here. This fact has made me even more impatient to get mine.

This whole situation reminds me of when Brent was clerking during his law school time, there was a lawyer (woman) who was pregnant and due on the same day that I was. He would make observations about this very successful lawyer and how being pregnant was changing the way she did things--the way she fit in the office space. [He also told me about another woman at the law firm who had an Ann Klein gold hair barrette that she used to keep her hair in a ponytail--and it looked really classy. He was pleased that I had the same barrette and wore it to keep my hair in a ponytail. In fact, he mentioned it so often whenever I would use it that I began to hate it. I didn't want to remind him of someone else--especially a person who was what I had once wanted to be: a successful lawyer.] This pregnant lawyer delivered her baby two weeks early. From that moment I was ready for Megan to come . . . but she didn't . . . and then her due date came . . . and went. She was born, of course, but not on her due date: 2 October.

From her birth, if I wasn't paying full attention, I filled in school information pages with
2 October 1983 INSTEAD of 8 October 1983.

I once wrote Lauren Nichole Hendry's name as Lauren Christina (her older sister's middle name).

Even better, I sent both Lauren and her new husband Adam each a letter just after their wedding: one to Lauren Hendry; one to Adam Hendry.

Names, dates . . . in the eternities will they matter?

I hope not.

I just re-read what I wrote. I started out with the intention of illustrating how impatient I feel when someone else and myself are both waiting for the same thing to happen--and then it happens to them . . . and I have to wait. From there I waundered off onto a tangent--examples of when I mixed up names and dates.

The forgetfulness continues: I have physical therapy Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 2:30. For the last month I have had physical therapy Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 2:30. I still forget to go--I just forget. I remember just in the nick of time and arrive 10 to 15 minutes late -- which is a big deal in physical therapy because it's not a doctor's office where everyone can wait. I have a specific half hour where I get one-on-one attention from an impressively effective therapist--he eases the pain from the bulging discs in my lower back, the same in my neck, and a recently operated on knee. I come away feeling wonderful . . . and I still forget.

I went to my psychiatrist today (a re-scheduled appointment) and asked for ritalin. I've taken it before, but years ago. Others in my family need it to function more effectively. I am hoping that it will help me to focus, too. In one week, Trigonometry finals happen. I need to re-remember loads of information and formulas and when to use them. Right now, it just ain't happenin'.

I know why I started to write about all of these semi-related things: I have an iPad that is arriving in the mail soon--and I will be using it to keep my schedule--and my mind--in order.

Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment