Tuesday, March 19, 2024

When I Could Not Be There

 


When Lauren accidentally punctured her finger while sewing on her sewing machine.

24 May 2009

 

Dear Cindy,

 

I have not stopped thinking about you since I spoke with you last week.  When Lauren called me, she was panicking, scared and confused about what had just happened to her.  I am thankful that her first thought was to call me—there was a time when she would not have done that.  Not that she wouldn’t have wanted me to know, but she would have been so caught up in the experience of “being independent” that any contact or counsel from me would have not even have entered her realm of consideration.  I wanted to thank you for staying with Lauren while she was at the emergency room.  I know that it had to have been a very long night.  She said that you talked with her during the whole time that she was waiting and with the doctor.  

 

Thank you for being where I could not be and for doing what I could not do.  I am grateful for the love I feel for you and for the love that you give to me and to my children.   Growing up with my dad being the one who always took care of us, I never felt the need to watch out for him.  I find comfort and security in the certainty that you care for and keep him safe. I missed telling you on Mother’s Day, but I do love you and am so very glad that you are a part of my life.

Sincerely,

Carolyn

 

P. S.  Every Sunday I put my scriptures into my big , pink bag and I remember your talent for renewing and keeping things looking fresh and whole.  Thank you.  Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment